Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The lesson of listening

I have this client who is often a pain in my butt. Lately I am beginning to understand why he can be so difficult.

He's in his mid 70's with a very ill wife. I think she has parkinson's and some dementia. So, he has that to contend with. He has worked for his employer for about 20 years. He is with a very well known non-profit. They do great work.

But he is also dealing with a mid-forties female boss who wants him out and a early 20's co-worker who thinks the only way to contact people is by email or text messaging. She doesn't understand the concept of picking up a phone and setting up face to face meetings. Or why relationships are so important to her position. She's the public relations/special events coordinator at a large non-profit. HELLO! She needs the local media FAR more than they can ever need or use her and the organization.

So, this little old man callls me this morning because he couldn't find my bosses, the department head, extension. I transfer the call to her office and he starts right in with his complaints. They don't listen to me around here, you didn't explain well enough what you wanted from me, you need to do more, faster and in a less expensive way. yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.

Then he proceeds to tell us some other confidential information about is boss and coworkers. And finished all of this by saying that he wants to resign in the next few months. That he ccouldn't deal with things there anymore and needed to leave.

Once he finished with his complaintes, he told us that his wife is dooing poorly and asked for our prayers that they travel safely from their home in Texas to see family in Colorado. He wanted help in praying that his wife would be able to make the trip. It's in 10 days. They're going to see her children and their favorite grandchildren. And he is really worried about his wife.

My point in blogging about this client and the conversation is because I realized that all he wanted was someone to listen to him, pray for him and to sympathise with him. And my boss was in a hurry to run from her office to another meeting. Notebook in hand, laptop on the notebook, heading to her door with the client on speakerphone. Ready to go.
I too was feeling a little put out as we have spoken to this man 2 times a day for about a week straight. I was thinking enough already.

If I can't give 20 or 30 minutes of my time to listen to someone in need, what kind of person amd I? Why am I not picking up on when the lord has sent someone to me for a kind word and genuine concern? What does that say about me and my christian principles?

I think it means that sometimes we need to stop, take a dep breath and just listen.

1 comment:

chele said...

We've all been there. Usually, when I find myself thinking, "Why are they telling me this?" That is precisely when I should be listening.