Tuesday, December 14, 2004

To my Dad

Forgive me. This rambles a bit, but I had to post it here.

I was going to post a blog complaining all about my Dad. He's nosy, a pain in the butt and very opinionated. But, he's always been there for me. He was apart of my everyday life. He spent much of his time working so that we wouldn't be poor like he and my mom's families were.
We had family vacations and I was never hungry or went without.

I realized the need to be thankful and appreciative after reading X's post. The things that my father does to annoy me do not compare to the disrespectful way many fathers treat their children. I've never experienced that.

I love you Daddy. You are the example of what a hardworking black man should be. You taught me self respect and the importance of working hard. You always talked to me in an intelligent way and never put me down for anything.

You often didn't understand why I loved the high jump or play basketball. You didn't agree with my choice of husband, but you didn't verbally disservice that choice. And, I know that you would do anything in this world to make me happy.

You told me when I had my first child that you were going to hug your grandchildren. All the time. That you would make sure they got the hugs my brother and I didn't. You never learned that simple gesture of affection at home, so you couldn't pass it on to us. But you understood the importance of giving to the next generation.

I thank you for that. So do the 5 Jays and the Bball clan.

Thanks Dad. I love you "as midnight loves the moon."

No comments: